Thursday, September 29, 2016

Not All Smoke and Mirrors at Creamistry - CLOSED


Creamistry
27692 Santa Margarita Parkway
Mission Viejo, CA 92691

I didn't see the big deal about liquid nitrogen ice cream. I had been to two of Creamistry's competitors and left underwhelmed. That's probably why I was not expecting too much when we arrived here after a rather lackluster dinner nearby. They had made me a convert when I walked back through their door.

Creamistry has expanded like my sweatpants after inhaling their fantastic ice cream. They have locations throughout California, including eight in OC, and even have spots in Arizona, Texas, and on the other side of the world in India. I'm unsure of the science behind their ice cream, as I barely made it out of my 10th-grade science class, but I know the result is delicious. Each frozen treat is made to order using liquid nitrogen.

The menu here can be intimidating with all of their choices. They have tried to make it easier for Creamistry virgins like me by ordering in four easy steps. First, you order the size that you would like. They offer singles, doubles, and shakes. Then you select your base, with choices like premium cream, organic cream, sorbet, or coconut-based, which is non-dairy, vegan, and an alternative for people sensitive to lactose, eggs, or gluten. Now, the hard part picking a flavor, and with 30 different kinds, this could take a while. The last step is adding any toppings or sauces you may desire. Then your order is made.




It is a remarkable process with all the smoke, and it takes only a few minutes before your ice cream is ready. Let's see what got me all excited.




What you see above is the best Peanut Butter and Chocolate Shake ($7.50) I have had. It had a great chocolate flavor, with just the right amount of peanut butter, which got sucked up the straw in little pellets. This shake had the perfect chocolate-to-peanut butter ratio, and I also enjoyed the thick chocolate sauce coating the cup and the whipped cream. It's so good, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about this shake since I had it a few weeks ago. Thankfully for my waistline, they are not too close to my house, so this will be a special treat when I'm back in this area.



Next up were the scoops that Katie and Stephanie got. Honestly, I was in such a euphoric state with my shake, I'm not even sure what Stephanie got, but I know that Katie selected the Single Scoop Nutella ($5.50) made with the coconut base and pecans added. She loved this non-dairy ice cream, which she claims is one of the best she's eaten. I tried it and thought it was good, but I'd stick to ice cream made with dairy. She enjoyed the slight coconut tinge here but wished the Nutella would have been more prominent.

I was kind of blown away by Creamistry for not expecting too much when walking in here. With previous mediocre visits to their competitors, Sub-Zero and Scoops and Scoops, they are leading the pack regarding liquid nitrogen ice cream in OC. I look forward to trying more of their flavors, including their cereal flavors, which get a lot of attention. The girl who took our order was very patient with us as we perused the overwhelming menu, and she explained everything to us. Glad I finally found my go-to liquid nitrogen ice cream place. Now, I have to just practice a little restraint.

Out of five airplane tires (because nitrogen is also used to inflate airplane tires), five being best to zero being worst, Creamistry gets 3.5 airplane tires.

For your nearest Creamistry, check out their website here: https://creamistry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment